Caffeine and chocolate fiends, unite! This smoothie is the perfect wake-me-up for summer. Here’s the recipe we made today along with ideas for modifications:
Disclosure: some of the links below are affiliate links or discount codes, meaning, at no additional cost to you, if you click through an affiliate link and make a purchase, we may make a commission.
Yields: 2-4 servings
1 pint blackberries (or blueberries)
3 tbsp cacao nibs
5 tbsp cacao powder
3 tbsp shredded coconut
2 cups swiss chard leaves
2 cups non-dairy milk (we used hazelnut milk from Elmhurst)
2 cups water
1 cup coffee
1 tsp maca powder
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp ashwagandha powder (optional)
This recipe is meant to be healthy and full of veg! If it’s not sweet enough for you, consider adding your favorite form of sweetness (e.g. more fruit, stevia, dates, etc). Looking for more greens-based smoothies that are lower in sugar? Check out the Green Smoothie Challenge eBook! It has recipes, grocery lists, along with tips and tricks for making smoothies part of your life.
You know what to do here – load all ingredients into the high-speed blender, cover, and blend to desired consistency. Enjoy!
Guten Morgen! Buongiorno!
If it’s not already a good morning, we present to you our top five plant-based breakfasts which provide:
- Fiber to help your digestive system get moving as you start your day
- Protein – seeds and nuts are great sources of plant-based protein, as is amaranth (technically a seed, though typically considered a whole grain)
- Fun – these are colorful and customizable, so get your DIY on!
- Antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals so you’re taking care of your body right out of the gate!
- Fuel for the morning! Test your coffee and bagel against any one of these options and you’ll see which ones hold you until lunch.
Without further ado, your new breakfast options!
- Amazing Amaranth Bowl – Move over, porridge! We have a higher-protein option that also provides minerals such as iron, manganese and phosphorus.
2. Express Detox Smoothie – Love your liver by providing it with the vitamins and minerals it needs from greens! This recipes takes less than 5 minutes and is one of the most-loved from the Green Smoothie Challenge eBook.
3. Sweet Potato & Black Bean Southwestern Skillet – Smoothie. Oatmeal. Rinse & repeat. We know that breakfasts can get a bit repetitive and unimaginative so we’re going to shake it up with this inspired southwestern dish. Make it vegan by not adding an egg on top.
4. Great Goji Groatmeal – This easy recipe can be popped into the slow cooker and you can get fancy with goji berries and other accoutrements. Enjoy this warm breakfast on a cold morning!
5. Cherry Almond Pancakes – Waking up and enjoying a fresh stack of cherry almond pancakes is both a joyful and nutritious way to start the day. May it be the same for you!
Remember to try the 7-day Breakfast Experiment to see which breakfasts work best to fuel you for your day!
As Kermit the Frog has said, “it’s not easy being green”….and the same could be said for being a green smoothie in a sea of fluorescent orange fizzy sodas and caramel-colored coffee drinks. The green smoothie can intimidate – with its heavy perception of being healthy (aka “gross”)- but this Express Detox Smoothie is sweet, light and satisfying. It’s a great way to start a warm summer morning before a busy day with the family or to refresh after yoga or mowing the lawn. From 10TV anchors to our littlest test kitchen ‘client’/niece, it’s been well-received.
Now’s your chance; do you think it’s easy being or drinking ‘green’?
1 cup of water or coconut water
2 cups of kale
1 lemon, juiced
1 medium apple
1 frozen banana
2 pitted dates
1″ ginger root
Add all ingredients to high-powered blender and blend well.
Want to be even greener? Check out our Green Smoothie Challenge eBook .
St. Patrick’s Day is celebrated in Ireland and worldwide as both a religious and cultural holiday. This 17th of March, whether you feast on stew and Irish soda bread or fill up on green beer, this drink provides a healthy way to connect with your Irish heritage or is great for a morning-after hangover cure.
1 medium apple
4 stalks celery
10 leaves romaine lettuce or 2 cups
1/4 cup parsley
4 cups water
Rinse and prep all produce. Use either a high-speed blender or a juicer (we opted for blending to keep the fiber). Add all ingredients and blend until smooth. This recipe makes 32 ounces. Because the nutrients breakdown soon after making the drink, plan to drink within 1-2 days or share a healthy pint with a friend.
Also, the tradition of getting pinched if not wearing green is alive and well! Apparently Irish immigrants believed wearing green made you invisible to leprechauns and fairy creatures. They would pinch others as a reminder to wear the color and therefore protect themselves from those devious troublemakers. Double up with your green juice and clothing!
Our 14-day Green Smoothie Challenge is coming soon! We’ve been working hard on ingredient pairing, grocery list building, and taste-testing (okay, that part is pretty easy :)) so that we can bring you a complete, and convenient, DIY way to boost your energy and vitality everyday for 2 weeks. Stay tuned for more details!