Unless you have the exuberance of a young child, most of us could use more energy – whether to fulfill our dreams or even just our quotidian responsibilities. The good news: there’s no need to artificially jolt yourself into action with another coffee or energy drink. A few of these natural energy boosters can provide enjoyable, longer-lasting energy for you. Give them a try!
- Bouncing or jumping in place and shaking out your hands can be a nice way of shaking off a negative feeling or worries and giving you a bit more energy.
- As your shower comes to an end, turn the knob for cool or cold water and let it run over your head, each raised underarm and on your lower back.
- Drink a glass of water – this can boost your energy and your detoxification processes.
- A minute of laughing can be an excellent mental health and energy booster. Prepare for tears of laughter with this.
- For a little pep in the afternoon, place a few drops of peppermint essential oil on a cotton ball and place it in your palms, cupping hands over your face. Close your eyes and breathe deeply.
- Sing the chorus of your favorite song, aloud if you can. Today’s pick was the oldie-but-goodie “More than a Feeling” by Boston.
- Go outside – stand in the sun (if it’s out) and notice the temperature, breeze, smells, the birds communicating, colors of leaves and whatever else your senses are picking up.
- Play with your pet. A laser pointer or dangly toy for your cat or hide-and-seek with your dog. We like to play ‘tag’ with our bunnies then ‘catch’ and provide cuddles.
- Squats. One minute of these will get your blood flowing to and from those large muscles (quads). This can be easily done during breaks from desk work.
- Have a small snack – perhaps DIY Hippie Granola with yogurt, a banana with nut butter, or a small handful of nuts.
- Engage with a friend or loved one who lifts your spirits. Even a quick text during the day can boost both of you.
Which ones worked for you? Let us know in the comments below.